Friday 15 May 2020

That was then….

A friend sent through some “lockdown” jokes this morning – the situation has certainly opened up a very creative vein of humour! This was it.


It reminded me of when I was first married.  Apart from a two-day trip to Salisbury as I mentioned in my last blog, I had never left South Africa.  Our honeymoon was the sea voyage from Cape Town to Southampton, then travelling to London on the boat train to Waterloo. If you can imagine leaving sunny Cape Town and arriving in a grey cold wet London on a January day, it was daunting. This was before all the buildings had been cleaned and were still dark from the smog laden days of the 1950s.  

I grew up in a household with staff. Yes, I was a princess. I had never cooked a meal, washed a sheet or ironed a shirt. I learned to do all three in time!

What this photo reminded me of was the first time I abandoned hand washing everything in our flat (no central heating so damp stuff draped everywhere) and ventured to the launderette. I had no idea that you couldn’t use the same detergent in a washing machine that you used to hand wash. I loaded up with the Lux flakes and watched miserably while the foam poured out of the detergent tray and the top of the machine.  One woman was a bit sympathetic and helped me clean up. 

I learned to cook quite quickly because I like to eat and my first efforts were so disgusting that I reckoned that either I would learn to cook or I would have to go home.  This was a favourite South African recipe.  

(4-6)

1K minced beef or lamb or mixed         
2 onions, chopped
2 tab butter                                  
1 tab oil + for greasing
60 grams chopped almonds                  
110 g sultanas
1 teas mixed herbs
1 garlic clove crushed                           
juice half a lemon
1.5 tab curry powder                    
1 teas salt
1 tab wine vinegar                                 
1 tab sugar
grinding of black pepper                       
3 thick slices white bread
300 ml milk                                            
2 eggs lightly beaten

Heat the oven to 170C.  Grease a large deep pie dish with oil.  Melt the butter and oil and add the garlic and onions and fry gently for about 10 minutes or lightly browned.  Remove the onions and garlic to a large bowl.  Sprinkle the curry powder over the onions, add the almonds, sultanas, herbs, lemon juice, salt, sugar, vinegar, pepper and meat.  Mix well with a wooden spoon.  Soak the bread in the milk and squeeze it out (keep the milk) and mash and add to the meat with one beaten egg.  Put in the dish and press down with the back of a spoon.  Bake for about an hour until the meat begins to brown.  

Reduce the oven to 150C. If necessary, top up the milk from the bread to make 180ml.  Beat the other egg in the milk and pour over the meat. Bake until firm.

 PS One used curry powder in those days.  Today I would make my own mixture with garam masala, chilli etc.  Whatever works for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment