Tuesday 29 November 2011

Gloves, clementines and a new hat

The Christmas season is definitely here. Last night, November 28, I attended the preview of the Red Cross Christmas market at the Guildhall. The last time I attended it was when Margaret Thatcher was PM and I was speechless for the first time in my life. I was trying on a pair of gloves and a woman next to me said “I do like a bright pair of gloves to brighten up a dark suit”. I looked up and it was the PM and I was so surprised I was rendered mute and she was whisked away before I recovered.

The event was opened by the Lady Mayoress and Lord Fellowes (much mention of Downtown Abbey). The stalls were run by a combination of the Livery Companies and some commercial ventures. I donated one of my needle cases to the Forum UK stall as well as a pair of designer shoes which I bought on a charity auction but found the heels were too high. They were the first item sold and now have raised money for two charities. Mei Sim Lai, the Chair of Forum UK, is also Master World Trader this year

I visited the Worshipful Company of Glovers’ stall again and bought another pair of gloves – superb leather, warmly lined and will do for a few years. John and I visited the Fruiterers’ stall where we bought the most amazing clementines and then, of course, the Feltmakers where the Master Feltmaker helped me choose a hat – I only have one “proper” hat so this was a big decision. The rest of my shopping will remain a secret till either Chanukah or Christmas!

I am off this afternoon to help on the Forum UK stand – hopefully everything will have been sold!

No comments:

Post a Comment