Wednesday 14 October 2009

After the ball is over...






The fifteenth Pink Ribbon Ball, Breast Cancer Campaign’s flagship event and the highlight of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, was on Saturday night and was hugely successful. We raised over £160,000 (so far) which is extraordinary in these times. My claim to fame is that I have been at all 15 and each year I think that it can’t possibly get better and it does.

We have a great committee and an excellent team in-house and a ton of volunteers – it doesn’t just happen.

Martine McCutcheon was our first ever patron of the Pink Ribbon Ball and was truly a star on the night, speaking movingly and talking to everyone with great enthusiasm and she looked amazing (see the photo). She also drew the raffle and gave first prize to the winner – a five night stay for two in Florence.

Hollyoaks actor Kevin Sacre successfully bid for a painting of a flamenco dancer in the silent auction for his fiancĂ©e Camilla Dallerup (Strictly Come Dancing). Camilla very kindly agreed to pose for a picture with a group of male guests who each donated £100 to the charity for having their picture taken with her.

One of our long-term supporters, Kirste Snellgrove, spoke about her own experience with breast cancer and how it hasn’t stopped her running 18 marathons since she was first diagnosed. Linford Christie and singer Sonique presented her with a bouquet of flowers (see picture) and many hugs.

Watch out for Now magazine for coverage.

It was nearly 3am when I got to bed and when I woke up on Sunday morning I was relieved that I rarely drink alcohol – the thought of being exhausted and hung-over is too much to contemplate.

P.S. The title of this blog is from an 1890s music-hall song - a sad tale – check Wiki. I could have used another song from that era - “It's three o'clock in the morning, we've danced the whole night thru” – but I didn’t dance. It is not that I am over 100 years old, I just seemed to have absorbed these lyrics by some process of osmosis.


No comments:

Post a Comment