Wednesday 29 March 2017

What’s real? Slogans/headlines/clichés rule the world

Trump is going to make America great again - compared to when? How do you define 'great'?  He's going to build a wall, deport millions of people - the list of the bold direct statements is long and there was no explanation of how this was going to be achieved. The first big failure was on replacing the Affordable Health Care Act aka ObamaCare but - the President tweeted – “ObamaCare will explode and we will all get together and piece together a great healthcare plan for THE PEOPLE.”  I think he meant implode.... 

Brexit means Brexit (No one knows what that means). The Prime Minister is going to negotiate a Brexit deal that is good for everyone.  Well that's a load of rubbish.  Every single person?  There are going to be groups who will not benefit, don't know who they are but it just isn't logical that it will be all good for everyone.

I am not even sure what I think any more, I have all these words shouting at me in my head.

I am almost at a point when I can only believe what I see - and you know how unreliable eyewitnesses are. After the dreadful terrorist attack in London last week a woman wearing a headscarf was photographed walking past the wounded with her hand to her face apparently looking at her phone – interpreted as uncaring.  She was vilified on social media until she came forward. She had offered help but there were many people helping at this point so she was contacting her family to say that she was OK and the photographer confirmed that she was very upset – which can be clearly seen when you look closer at her face.  She then helped someone go to Waterloo station and went home. We see what our prejudices tell us to see.

On the weekend I had lunch with friends - we laughed a lot and argued some - that was real.  Last night I went to the Barbican to hear Joshua Bell play – he was amazing – that was real.



No comments:

Post a Comment